Thursday, August 4, 2011

Uncle Bob to Marie and Joe, July 22, 1945

1945, Sunday 22 July

Dear Marie and Joe,

I feel that I should make this letter something of a literary masterpiece because it's the first one I write to you, in your new role of a mother.  My writing is poor and my grammar worse so I'll have to be content with my usual awkward attempt to congratulate you and your husband.

Ever since you met Joe, I knew that each of you had a lucky catch and your child will forever be proud of its parents.  I'd never tell you ,I  guess, but I've always thought you tops in sisters, and I've seen the kind of wife you've made.  As a woman you have wonderfully fulfilled these capacities , and everyone has long realized that you'll make the best best type of mother.

Of course I get a great kick out of talking of my niece.  One can imagine the excitement among Kenneth and Frank.  There isn't a soul in Queens Village who doesn't know that there is  an addition to the Nolan household.  I guess there wasn't enough life in our house before.  This will certainly liven things up.

 Joe must be cheering so loud that it can be heard in the hospital.  He's a good guy Marie (need I tell you), and you both deserve the best.

love
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment