Monday, August 1, 2011

Dear Mary, Love Dad

Uncle Warren added the notes to this transcription of a 1936 letter from Grandpa Nolan  to my mother, two weeks after she turned 15.

105 11 - 220th Street
Queens Village
Aug 23 - 1936

Dear Mary:

 It pains me that I have not written you sooner, because you must think
that your daddy hasn't been thinking about you.  Your mother will tell you I am
a poor hand at letter writing. She can boast of few love letters. Furthermore
half the time, like yourself ,I cannot or do not write legibly. I made up my
mind I must write at least once to the finest "daughter" in the universe to show
my deep love and affection.

I bought a nice book for you to read "Gone with the Wind," only 1037 pages.
You probably can read it in a few hours. It will take me as long as it took to
read Anthony Adverse. Father Herchenroder took a copy away on his trip to the
coast. He spoke highly of it. By the way I don't know if I told you - James,
Miss Margaret the housekeeper and (myself) I (pardon me) accompanied Father
"H" to his train. He will go to Chicago, Grand Canyon, San Diego, Los Angeles,
Portland Oregon  Seattle, Vancouver British Columbia through S.W. Canada to
Minneapolis, Minn, then to Chicago and back home about Sept 19 - about four weeks
vacation.  We had a card from him from Chicago. He stated he was cleaning up
the passengers on the Pullman playing pinochle.

Vinny Stork is also California bound. He travels on the bus.

Marie Nolan is summering at Peconic Bay and the rest of us hug (?) the
back porch.

Well it was ever thus, the wealthy "travel" and "summer."  The poor have
children.

So we come to the end of the sheet and this letter with love and kisses
from all home and a big kiss from Mother and Dad.
..............................................................................
...........................................
                                           Notes

1. Father Herchenroder was the long time pastor of SS. Joachim and Anne
Church.  The Nolans and Herchenroders had a Brooklyn connection. It is my
understanding that Father Herchenroder was a cardplaying guest at our home many times
prior  to my father's death in January, 1939.

2. The Storks were our neighbors on 220th Street.  During World War II they
had a flag with seven stars in their window, representing their seven sons in
the service.All returned home safely.

3. The last child was born on May 18, 1936 - my brother Ken, number eight for
my father, number seven for my mother. (Their little sister Veronica died as a toddler when my mom was only five.)

No comments:

Post a Comment