Monday, August 1, 2011

Agnes to Joe, October 1945

Among the thousands of letters my dad and mother exchanged from  November 1942 to March 1946, I have found some family letters, from my dad to Grandma Koch and from Uncle Francis. I found just one letter from Aunt Agnes.  I gather her writing to her brother is an event.


October 12, 1945

Dear Joe,

Yes I am really writing to you.  I just never do get around to it  so you will have to overlook it.

We finally got Mary [Argentieri] off and now we are all very busy with my coming wedding.  I am truly exhausted, but you know all about that because you’ve gone through it already.

Mary called today and the baby is fine.  She weighs fourteen pounds so she certainly is a nice fat healthy baby.  I still thinks she looks like mom, at least the nose anyway.


We really are terribly busy and we don’t get the chance to get to see our niece very often.  Yes we did receive your letter.  Johnny and I got her over here one Sunday but we haven’t the time to do that right now.  We would really like to see her oftener than we do. (That’s really more often isn’t it?)

I am sending you a wedding invitation because I thought you would like to have one.  I am also sending you a picture from the Press of Mary and George.  I will send others later on. We haven’t heard from Mary Argentieri in over two weeks but you know how Mary is about writing (almost as bad as me).  They have a new apartment and I guess she is very busy setting it up.


We haven’t been able to find a place to stay yet.  That is one of my biggest problems.
We want a furnished apartment but none seem available thus far.  Furniture is too terribly expensive to get any right now.


We are going to Florida on our honeymoon.  We will drive down there now that gas rationing has been lifted.  I get more and more tired as the days go by.  I certainly will be glad when it is all over.  Johnny is nervous about the mass already but I guess he will live through it.


Peggy said when she saw the baby outside the bank she looked beautiful.  She is so plump and cute that she is convinced that the baby takes after her father, the plump part naturally.  All the girls in the bank thought your wife is a very pretty girl.


I  will close now because I have to write some more letters.  Take care of yourself.


Love from all,
Agnes


PS We got a “v” mail from Dick.  He is coming home the end of December.  How about you, anything definite yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment