Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mary Nolan Koch's Conversion

Years ago, my reaction to Imogene's request to tell you the story of my
conversion would have been:  "Conversion?  Why I wasn't a convert.
I've always been a practicing Catholic.  I was baptized as a child."
That would have ben my understanding of conversion--something that
non-Catholics decide to do.

But I know differently now.  I know that I'm always undergoing
conversion--turning more and more to God and becoming closer to Jesus
through the daily reception of the Eucharist.

All of my life I have been a weekly communicant, but it wasn't until
the early 1980's when I took early retirement in order to care for my
invalid mother and then my husband, afflicted with Alzheimer's Disease,
that I started attending daily Mass.  Soon I realized that the daily
reception of the Eucharist had become the focal point of my life.

At first I would say that this daily reception of the Eucharist was a
private spirituality, but gradually I realized that I was also
receiving nourishment from the community of believers ath the morning
Eucharist, that it was a communal celebration. After all hadn't Vatican
II told us that We, the People are the Church, we seek community around
the Table of the Lord.  If Jesus is broken and passed around, so too
must we be, if genuine community is to be realized in our Church.

I remember reading an articile in America magazine that reflected my
ideas about Eucharist and community.  It made the point that the
Eucharistic liturgy should be a magnet to draw us out of our private
hideaway places.  I could see how communal Eucharist could break down
the barriers of self-interest, social and economic class, even race and
age.  It might seem an impossible task, but I know that in sharing
Eucharist, Christ gives us the graces to accomplish even impossible
tasks.

This new realization of the importance of Community in the life of the
Church led me to study about Small Christian Communities when I was
enrolled in the Diocesan Pastoral Formation Institute.  I began to
realize that small group participation could lead to the renewal of the
Church.  By coincidence our RENEW program was starting in the Parish,
and I became one of the leaders of RENEW.  My Small Group became an
importance source of communal spiritual nourishment for me, and I am
pleased that we have continued to meet as a Small Christian Community.
My prayers at Eucharist now include not only the members of my own
Small Group, but also all the members of St. Martha's community.

I'm happy to know that in the early years of this century, Pope Pius X
encouraged the faithful to receive frequent Holy Communion because it
was not the common practice until that time.  Recently I was impressed
with Jesuit Father Jack Morris's comment that "nothing to more critical
to a vital ch urch agenda, as we sail into the high winds of the
multicultural third millenium that the Eucharist" to bring us together.
I know as I read the new Cathechism that I agree with the statement
that the "Eucharist is the source and summit of the Christina life."

There were sometimes troubling days for me, and receiving the Eucharist
each morning gave me the spiritual nourishment and strength I needed to
cope with what was happening in my life.  Becoming closer to Christ,
sharing in His life, death, and resurrection became the focus of my
spiritual life.

Also about that time I started daily Scripture reading.  I was
particularly influenced by the Gospel of John.  In Chapter 6 he
recounts Jesus' promise, "I am the Bread of Life, whoever comes to me
will never hunger, and whoever believes in me, will never thirst."
Jesus goes to to speak of sacramental nourishment, "unless  you eat the
flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life
within you."  I was impressed!  Jesus was promising me eternal life.
John did not speak of the Institution of the Eucharist at the Last
Supper, but in the other three gospels we read that at the Last Supper
Jesus instituted the Eucharistic sacrifice of his body and blood.  As I
received this Sacrament I became united with Christ in sharing his Body
and Blood.

In this connection I have a deep concern that as the priest shortage
continues to grow,that there will be many parishes that will not be
able to experience the joy of the daily Communal Celebration of the
Body and Blood of Christ.  I know how important it is to me to continue
my growing relationship with Jesus, to be able to give Thanksgiving for
all He has done for me and for the Community of believers. I pray that
all Christians will continue to have this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment