Monday, August 8, 2011

Memories of 105-11 220th Street



This was originally posted to the Nolan email list in 2006.

Mary Jo Graves 
I think I could recreate the first floor of 105-11 220th Street, but obviously the one dotters' memories would be far more accurate. Several times in my mom's last years we drove her by the old house. I am sorry we didn't think to take pictures. What do my cousins remember?

Kathye Torrisi 
I remember the front porch and them the living room with the stairs to your
left as you came in. We used to perform there when Uncle Jim would encourage us to sing and dance. There was always turkey soup in the kitchen when we came early on Thanksgiving. I also remember that little area off the dining room that had a bed and I think a curtain instead of a door.

Mary Jo Graves 
I remember exactly the same things.  I think I slept in the little bed off the dining room when I came to visit.  I vividly remember listening to the chime of the grandfather clock on the mantel in the living room. In my house, we have a piano against the stairs which looks remarkably like Grandma's piano.  At one point, I think Grandma had a bathroom installed off the kitchen.  As the family got bigger, we ate in the back porch. I remember the wicker furniture on the front porch; I think Aunt Joan inherited it and might have used it at Whitney Lake.

Richard Koch 
There was a back porch which I remember well thanks to Uncle Jim. It was there when I was a young teenager he told me I was old enough to smoke. I thought that was cool. He then proceeded to light up a large cigar which after several puffs filling my lungs with the smoke I became quite sick for what seemed like forever. I will say I was never even tempted to smoke again. I also remember the kitchen which had a door to the back porch was at the back of the house on the left with the sink located under a window on the outside wall. I also recall a bathroom upstairs that had a window as I spent a signifiicant amount of time  in it as I had to clean it up after my smoke with the window open on a cool Thankgiving day.

Mary Jo Graves: 
I remember the huge tub with feet in the upstairs bathroom.  I vaguely remember locking myself in by accident as a young child. I remember being afraid of the attic crawl space in the bedroom opposite the bathroom. On the same side of the corridor as the bathroom was the entrance to the living room/kitchen apartment where newly married one-dotters took turns using until they could afford their own house. I only recall one other big bedroom at the end of the hallway.
I am curious if the younger cousins remember the house at all.

Liz Nolan 
I certainly do. Other than the memories that have been mentioned (cigars (not that I smoked) and dinners on the back porch)...I remember watching  my Dad and Uncles change the storm windows. I also remember eating my first soft boiled egg one summer morning on the back porch. Was there a trellis with roses or is that my other Grandmother's house?!?

What do you remember?

No comments:

Post a Comment