Friday, December 16, 2005

Mystery Fireplace--Christmas 1951

I suspect this picture was taken at the same time as the first one of Mom reading, Christmas 1951. We are all wearing the same pajamas.

But where are we? Is that a fake fireplace with the sole purpose of providing a place to hang Christmas stockings? Does anyone remember that wallpaper? Selecting wallpaper does not seem to have been one of Mom's talents.

How long did you believe in Santa Claus? Roger Tuffili (sp?) corrupted me about both Santa Claus and sex. I didn't believe him, and stayed up Chrstmas Eve to confirm the sad truth with my own ears. I suspect I must have been about seven or eight. What I don't remember is whether I immediately spoiled my brothers' innocent faith in Santa. Vanessa and Elizabeth were eager to corrupt Katherine, but all three conspired to keep Patricia a believer for as long as possible.

Does anyone else remember how excited we were when the Sears Christmas catalog arrived? That was our principal source of ideas for presents. We didn't have television to seduce us.

No comments:

Post a Comment