Friday, December 16, 2005

Family Christmas 1953

This posts are going to be organized by stream of consciousness. I wondered who took this picture. For a change, Dad is in it. (I found a later picture that solved the mystery; Sophie took it. Sophie needs a post of her own.) Beneath the stairs are MJ, Richard, and Aunt Mary. I can't explain what I am wearing on my head. On the stairs are Aunt Joan, Dad, Mom holding Peter, Uncle Dick, Grandma Nolan, and Stephen. This was taken at Christmas 1953.

The bannister of the stairs never changed. They don't seem to be carpeted. Do anyone else remember the wallpaper? Next to Aunt Mary, almost out of the picture, is our first Hi-Fi. I think it remained in the basement for most of our lifetimes. I remember how excited I was when Dad first bought it. I recall hearing Beethoven's Symphonies around that time. Dad loved classical music; he makes knowledgeable references to it in his letters to Mom during the war. He always wanted to listen to WQXR (the classical music station) in the car. In another picture, I discovered that there is a bookcase under the stairs; we got the Hi-Fi later on.l

No comments:

Post a Comment