Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Importance of Remembering

This picture of Mom was taken in late 2002; she is rereading one of Dad's wartime letters. I love her gentle smile. Until the end of her life, looking at old pictures and letters seemed to awaken her old self. Three weeks before Mom died, we looked at her web site on our television set and she read aloud every caption, seemed to be aware of who everyone was.

Now that Mom and Dad are dead, I realize the importance of not letting family memories die with them. So I started this blog to help us remember. The blog will keep reinventing itself. Several times a week I will post a family picture and share what I remember about when it was taken and what other memories it evokes. I will also post excerpts from Mom's and Dad's wartime letters. I will share what other family members have written. There are many pictures I haven't yet scanned, so you can look forward to photos that you have never seen.

I hope all my brothers, sisters-in-law, nieces and nephews, daughters and sons-in-law will share their reflections and reactions. All of you are welcome to comment. If you want full posting privileges, tell me and I will make you a full-fledged member of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment