Thursday, December 15, 2005

Mom's Giftedness

It became apparent to me over the Giftedness weekend that I have always had a comfortable awareness of my gifts. Throughout my life I have been blessed with love and affirmation in my birth family, in my marriage and family, in my professional career as a teacher, and in my church work. I have recognized that God gave me special gifts of intellect and nature that have resulted in my being successful at what I do. He has graced me with faith and commitment to my Church and given me a loving husband, children, and friends.

Not that I haven’t had setbacks. It was difficult for me to struggle through my husband’s long illness and death, but somehow even then I felt able to accept this loss supported by God’s grace. God showed me how I could fulfill my life in service to others through the Alzheimer’s Association and the Church. You can see why the Institute has been so valuable to me in these so-called senior years of my life.

At the same time I am quite aware of my many weaknesses. I must carefully examine and nurture my gifts so that they will be available in my new ministry. I believe that how we live “old age” is a true test of our character. Now I am in excellent health, but I hope and pray that God will give me the grace to accept any limitations on my activities that He will send my way. I admit in advance that it will be difficult for me to slow down and admit infirmity.

No comments:

Post a Comment