Sunday, February 8, 2009

Giving Her Children Wings








































My mom's combination of fearlessness, faith in God, and experience with five brothers made her wonderful mother of boys. She didn't worry; she didn't clip any wings. She didn't let little things like sons on the roof or a son out of touch hiking the Appalachian trail for months upset her. Richard and Stephen look so pleased with themselves, without any fear they might fall off or get in trouble. Her shy, timid, anxious daughter was a mystery to her:)

What is a mystery to me is how she escaped anxiety. Her mother and her sister are champion worries. Her baby sister Veronica died before she was 2 when my mom was 5. Her dad was sick throughout her teen years and died when she was 17. His death ended her college dreams.

What she did effortlessly, I have had to struggle with every day of my 42 years as a mother. All my daugters are braver and more adventurous than I am. For the most part, my anxieties have not infected them. They respect my fears. They always call, email, or text when the plane lands, at any hour, in any part of the world. Flight Tracker is my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment