Saturday, January 14, 2006

Joe: February 10, 16, 1943

February 10, 1943-- By now I’m in such a state about you, Maring <-- well that crossed out word is an example; I tried to combine Mary and darling in one word--Mary darling, that I’m joining your mother in worrying whether you go out without galoshes in the snow. Remember, dearest, if your mother doesn’t insist, Pvt. Koch insists that you wear your galoshes. I can’t even see the inconsistency of my position--I who haven’t worn rubbers or a raincoat for years....

February 16, 1943--Gee, darling, I didn’t know Lana Turner was unhappy in her marriage to Stephen Crane. I didn’t even know she was married. Tell me more. I can realize why she is unhappy, he is much too old for her. Why how many years ago was it that he wrote “The Red Badge of Courage?” Little did I know when I wrote a book report for 4th term high school English what a gay old dog the author of that book was. Going in for sweater girls, tsk tsk! And tut tut. I wouldn’t have felt have so guilty either about that report. We were supposed chose a book and summarize it in about a dozen statements. I picked “The Red Badge of Courage” because it was short and secondly because the chapter headings were complete sentences that merely had to be copied word for word, obviating reading the book. Much to my embarrassment--for I had a conscience in those my younger days-- the teacher singled me out for praise of my choice of good literature....

No comments:

Post a Comment